Translate

sabato 5 maggio 2018

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf


Julia Stephen with Virginia on her lap 1884.jpg

Julia Stephen with Virginia on her lap 1884
By Henry Herschel Hay Cameron (1852-1911) - Smith College Libraries, Leslie Stephen Photo Album, Public Domain, Link

Reading Virginia Woolf's famous book  To the Lighthouse  is still one of the most fascinating  reading experiences I have ever had.

I remember reading the book and focussing on the mother's loving care for her family and how the main protagonist of this  story must have given us some information and similarities with the writer's true family story.  This was one of the many books  I had chosen to study for my English Literature  exams when I was  finishing my university years . It was so nice reading it  and  I loved  Mrs Ramsay and the way she took care of the house and the children.

Listen to this beautiful radio drama based on the novel  and imagine how she must have worked on the  characterization of each member of the family. It is said that the family she described was based on her life and the  children who were in the writer's family. 
What is really great is the way she  creates situations and we get into the beauty of their minds.

What follows are some interesting documents which I have  found online and which I feel can help us read and understand the way of writing which was the peculiarity of  the writer  V.Woolf.







Woolf wrote novels but she worked on the magic power of words and images. I loved the beautiful image of the Lighthouse and I thought that it had a great meaning for the child and the mother who wanted him to be pleased and to experience the  lighthouse.

If you have some free hours and you would like to  read  I think that this book is still one of the best ones I  should spend some time on.


References  and Links

https://www.bl.uk/works/to-the-lighthouse


https://youtu.be/M2zE-Trmfd8


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento