Translate

giovedì 25 aprile 2019

Teaching the Holocaust

Echoes & Reflections is an American website  specialized in helping educators involved in teaching the Holocaust.

 They provide you with plenty of resources and also  professional development online.

You can get more information about them by checking their website online:

https://echoesandreflections.org/


Every month you can find  webinars and useful resources for  teaching the issue of the Holocaust and the many atrocities which we still find  in spite of the sad events which occurred during WWII:

next week you could also learn about an interesting story dealing  with rescuing some 5,000 Jews

I have just finished my online professional development course which started three weeks ago.
I was given tips, information about their website and I could learn about many documents which we can use with our  learners.

We learnt about  the best ways and reflected together online:

  • module 1 was about the reasons why we should teach the Holocaust
  • module 2 was about  teaching Antisemitism
  • module 3 was about exploring primary sources

The discussion online was interesting and I really appreciated the way they presented how we should approach this topic in class.

In the final part of the course we were asked to present our lesson plan, it was not compulsory but I decided to work on it. 

Here is the main plan of a lesson plan for the course  which I have created online and I have just  shared by using a modern webtool- Spark Adobe.

I chose the issue of  children and stories from people who survived the sad period of the Holocaust.


Children and the Holocaust

I submitted my lesson plan with more details as I would like to use it with my students next year while working on the issue of the Holocaust.

Link to the document online :
 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-4DXYlhRIeYu89C8Mp3GBOml-EGoufBK9EZ03rUGFV4/edit?usp=sharing










I cannot but say that more educators should learn about this interesting website and the way they work. I could learn about  https://iwitness.usc.edu/sfi/ and the many activities that  the US Shoah  Foundation is carrying out.

We are doing this also in Italy and we will continue it. We do need to work on the past to learn about the mistakes and atrocities in the present. We need to empower our learners to become  aware of what we should never  forget to better human beings.

4 commenti:

  1. Education plays a vital role in our lives. It gives us many things, due to those things we able to stand equal to anyone.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thanks to you. We are educators and we do need to focus on the issue of the importantance of the past to understand the present.

      Elimina
  2. Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Congratulation to you. I am happy after reading your post that you have posted in this blog. Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this.
    Swiss Private Schools

    RispondiElimina