Translate

giovedì 18 luglio 2019

Teaching about Mandela and modern history

Mandela's day is celebrated every year on 18th July.

I was fascinated by  the man who was in prison and  fought for the  rights of the black people in his counntry.  I do remember  reading about  South Africa and its apartheid when I was studying  geography in secondary school. I was shocked by what I read about  the system  that  segregated people.

This year  I could teach  about the history of  Apartheid when I did a short  text by  Nadine Gordimer with my fifth year  students. I felt inspired by some videos and also  some songs which can help us  introduce  Mandela and apartheid in the English lessons.

When searching online there are plenty of resources. Here is the one  shared online by  TeachingEnglish.




Resources online

Mandela's day websources


My Lesson Plan and materials

Introduction created by using  a  free  world cloud  tool: I just had to copy the text of the song by the  Simply Minds

https://www.wordclouds.com/


Talking and guessing about the issue in the song 

The students will have to talk about the content of the song and  be guided into  finding more information about   Mandel .

Listening and  Viewing  Skills

The students  watch the video about the song and focus on the information they can get from the text and why it was  written.




The students are given the video trailer about a famous  film about  the life of  Nelson Mandela and will discuss about  what they have seen and what they know about  the man.



Follow up

The students do the activity  about  the  hero Mandela at home- it is a lesson shared online but it can help the learners work on their own and will  listen to some  more information in a guided  biography online.

https://ed.ted.com/featured/fZIlNzq6


The next  step: creativity

The students have to work in a group and  create an artefact in English about  Mandela and  the history of  South Africa.

They can use online editors for photos and create their text online  to be shared by using  Google Slides and any tool for making  videos.



Image of  Mandela created by  using  https://www.fotor.com/features/goart.html


2 commenti: